Wednesday 31 March 2021

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order....


The game-play just doesn't click with me. Since my last blog about it, the more I try to 'get into it' the more I'm frustrated. There's way to much wall running, platforming, guard killing for the sake of it. I may have called it a Tomb Raider/Prince of Persia clone but it really is also mirrors edge platforming. Run along wall to jump to opposite side to run along it to jump pack to the other side to jump onto a rope to swing to a platform to.......to.....to......to......


I mention guard killing because after the first level/section/chapter they're 'just' another platform to jump over, that's all they are. I can't quiet put my finger on it but they're 'filler'. Not really there for world building, not really there for meaningful gameplay let alone be a real threat. They're generic bad-guy filler. Nah they are worse they are unfulfilling bad-guy filler. 
Yea you can up the difficulty and hamstring yourself so that each trooper is an epic Souls like battle ... each to their own... but not for me in this game. 
Playing it (even on 'normal') feels like I'm working hard to get the smallest sliver of story. The story is interesting but it really makes you work hard to see it. I like the story I've seen, I like the android companion(he's Wall-E), I like the ship and it's crew, I really like the captain of said ship. I even like the customizations. The story is an adventure and 'feels' epic. Till you get to a planet and it's hop, hop, skip, jump, wall run, x20 platforms with some generic saber fodder thrown in. I'm simplifying it but that's the gist of it. No new gimmicks for an old gaming dog, no new tricks to learn. Seen it all before.

I'm jadded with killing Troopers. I've been killing troopers since Dark Forces.... Even in the last 10 years how many Troopers have died.....  Some things are cool and some things just need to be reinvented. Or at the very least be made interesting. Games need to be as 'cool' in doing as on 'TV'.

I've no interest in manually tweaking 1's and 0's to edit graphics options in text files! While I can forgive some graphical popping every now and again, falling through scenery has killed me on more than one occasion. Stuck in a door frame or on a wall, jump to try and get out of it and I'm through the floor/building and dead. Charming.


I've gotten as far as I'm willing to go. If I'd bought the game I'd persist to get value from it.... As I got to play it for free via EA Play through Xbox Ultimate........ Time to uninstall.

No comments:

Post a Comment