Tuesday 29 August 2017

Blast from the past.... Breed


Coming across an old CD with a backup of game saves and settings proved both nostalgic and entertaining. The CD held files for three games.

Second up Breed. A generic sci-fi squad FPS bargain bucket purchase I got about a year after it's release. Given it's troubled development history between Brat and CDV it's a game that I describe as being 'so bad it's good' at least in my view

The install was flawless but unfortunately I wasn't able to get the game running in any way. Almost like the copy protection was not fully verifying the serial code. I also had issues with my anti-virus not liking a lot of the game files. I'd need to try it on a virtual or rebuild XP machine.

I'm glad I've got the files and the install CD's are still working but in fairness as retro goes the nostalgia isn't worth the kind of time I'd have to put in to get it working again, if at all. 

Gameplay wise it was passable, once you turn your brain off. At least that's what I remember. Some games work better that way and this was one of them. It's very much a "just go with it" kind of a game. The release reviews say it all, from middle of the road to trainwreck. It was never going to age like a fine wine.

There was a patch to apply to the game that did update elements so it's not like the game was released and then abandoned. From what I understand the game was unplayable when delivered to be distributed, they then took that and spent time to remould it into a "playable" game. That still had problems on release but were fixed for the most part by the patch. I don't recall having any problems with the game when I got it. I just took it for what it was, being glad it was cheap.



The true striking memory I have of this game is from the music. It has really great music.

Like track 4:


Or the first mission beach dropship landing music, track 7:


Or the Matrixy'esc/lost in space, track 03:

 
A good Breed Walkthrough was done by hinsten for anyone curious.
The main menu speech is at the very least worth a listen....


No comments:

Post a Comment