Tuesday 29 August 2017

Blast from the past.... RTW-Alexander

Coming across an old CD with a backup of game saves and settings proved both nostalgic and entertaining. The CD held files for three games.

First up Rome Total War Alexander the second expansion for Rome: Total War, one of my favourite games.

I'd never really returned to the first expansion after my initially playthrough way back in the day. Like that expansion the Alex expansion by comparison was a chopped down version of the game with a time limit. So again was played and dropped. I always favoured the main game.

Since my original main game purchase I've rebought various versions since (OS changes), most recently my latest version being the gold edition on steam. That version contained the main game and the first expansion. By this time I'd completely forgotten the Alex expansion existed, lost to time.

So finding it on a disk with all it's old install folder/save games and settings was a true blast from the past. I first tried to get it to run with my steam version but it wasn't having any of it. The serial number for Alex wasn't even being recognised. However with some file foolery, mainly with copy/paste and some config path tweaking it worked from the old save folder off the disk! I must have known I'd need the files in the future. Future me thanks younger me.

The only problem with the configuration is that it isn't widescreen, so has the two black lines on both sides of the screen. In game I dont' even notice the lines so I'm ok with it for now.



Playing the main game, I usually pick the Romans, so it's a refreshing change to play both a faction of pikes in an era of pikes in this expansion. They are a mincing machine. Send the pikes in with a broad line, defend the flanks with spearmen, light missile troops behind and horses for distracting and messing up the rear of the enemy.... I'm back in my element like I'd never left.
Given Alexander had a short life the game's 100 turn limit makes you push further and faster than may be tactically safe. I'll be doing a fresh campaign restart once I've gotten over the nostalgia of the old saves.




I've added the steam version into my wish list and at €3.99 I'll pick it up sooner rather than later but no rush yet as this older version still does the job.

On a side note, like the main game this expansion has just been released as a standalone game on iPad. It's gameplay really does stand the test of time.




Also of note is a new RTW:Alexander playthrough just released by LegendofTotalWar only last month.... synchronicity again at play. Well worth a look:

No comments:

Post a Comment