Wednesday 13 August 2014

Fighting Fantasy game books..... Android edition.

When I was about 12 I was introduced to the Fighting Fantasy books via a friend while on a school trip. I found myself more engrossed in the book than the real life adventure (so that's where it all began lol).

The book he had that day was the first of those books I purchased myself. Talisman of Death.


The first book may not have been set in the overall universe as the rest of the series but I did enjoy the diversity. I found myself going through a lot of those books in the years after.
I even tried my hand at creating my own stories and indulged in books on the lore and rules.


But I never got to grips with the more "advanced" Sorcery books.

I dismissed the Nintendo DS version of a game book after bad reviews.

Over time I've read a few bits here and there about the series since and have seen some fan newsletters/sites that keep the subject alive. In one of these last week I read about a version of the game books being converted into iOS and Android apps. This peeked my interest.


The latest game out in this new digital format is a book I had also gotten so many years ago. Starship Traveller. Here is a link to the google play store.


I bought it and have enjoyed it so far. I like the way it's been implemented, the way the rules are done and the dice rolls that can be bumped adds a nice touch. Tinman games have done a good job. I'll spend a while with this before I look at the other games that have been converted but I think I'll wait until books I've had in my collection are redone before buying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment