Tuesday 12 April 2016

Blasts from the past....

Usually my blast from the past posts detail a game I played many moons ago.
This time round I had access to my still existing and working Windows'98 pc. The last time I had gotten it working was to see that it did actually work.
It had originally shipped to me just after windows 95 had launched and was a new Pentium 133.
I recall considering 486 pc's and what dx, sx chip I needed. And when multimedia kits for pc's included a CD drive, sound card and speakers. When multimedia was a new thing. Don't even get me started on working with windows 3.11 for workgroups.
Geebus I'm feeling old now.
I remember getting, Sim City 2000 and Command & Conquer (DOS version) as my first games for the pc.
But back on track and while doing work back in my mam's house a while ago I stayed over and got to unmothball the old faithful semi upgraded win'98 pc.
I had pre-prepared for this and had downloaded a lot of updated (as can be for win 98) software that I burned onto CD.
And it all went well. Software updated and hard drive cleared up. The old girl still had soul.
Starting it up and listening to the noises brought back a lot of memories. Hitting escape to see the messages that might pop up behind the boot banner for windows, happened to me through muscle memory. That surprised me.
I could really waffle on for a long time about all my nostalgia but better I post some pics instead.
Suffice it to say that I've worked on virtual 95/98 machines since but there is really nothing like working on the real thing.

19 years since the last defrag.....
Civ 2's install option.... ON
215MB is a LARGE install....
335MB is GIGANTIC!!!!....
Bethesda only considered 450MB as HUGE....
The CRT monitor was as big as the 120 refresh rate.... :)
Ah so that's how I "learned" this DOS thing....
Release the Voodoo....
manual config.... no wonder I learned so much....

No comments:

Post a Comment