Tuesday 26 April 2016

Day 2 & 3: More thoughts about Fanfest 2016....

I only got to view a small portion of day 2 and none of day 3's stream. I wasn't bothered with not seeing what was happening "live".
Overall there wasn't all that much Eve news I wanted to see. Even with the universal changes coming to capital ships, taxes and the changes to bring in citadels. I only see those changes as being somewhat on the periphery of my gameplay.
Well maybe not the taxes. I don't have any contact with capital ships. But only time will tell how the new tax levels work out. And as for citadels I really don't know what that will do. I think it will take some time for the game to level out once there are enough of them in the universe.
I can't see myself trying to seek out a citadel with lower prices than Jita. A player run citadel market in Jita will be of interest but I guess that will be a hotspot for groups looking to take that hotspot for themselves. Jita 4-4 could be the quiet and sensible trade hub station. One thing is for sure, it opens up a lot of potential interest in gameplay.
So before all the changes come in I took some advantage of the current market's to buy a few ships and ammo types that I use the most. The markets have had some items cheaper than they have been in the last six month's.
For now I see the introduction of citadels in the same light as when Poco's came out and then got taxed.  I screamed and shouted but in the end today I still do two things : I still use them and despite the varying levels of taxation I still pay the taxes (and still make a profit). Space life goes on.

Fanfest Day 2 & Day 3 list a lot but for real on the ground thoughts sandciderandspaceships gives a better blow by blow fanfest account.
Evenews24.com also have a full account of Fanfest day by day.


There have been a good few sites giving their afterthoughts.
In no particular order and all worth reading are:

http://nevillesmit.com/blog/2016/4/24/so-ends-fanfest-2016

http://nevillesmit.com/blog/2016/4/25/bb-74-fanfest-2016s-biggest-reveal

https://evehermit.wordpress.com/2016/04/24/fanfest-from-afar-5/

http://targetcaller.blogspot.ie/2016/04/lets-take-moment-to-appreciate-what.htm

PCGamer talked a little about the expansion and the trailer.

The Amarr championchip was also of interest but really there isn't much real non role play effect on the universe.
https://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/world-news/catiz-tash-murkon-to-be-crowned-empress-of-amarr-as-champion-kelon-darklight-and-team-triumph-in-final-trials/

Fanfest day 3's championship is viewable in full on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-5KGuhVdE


Bringing new players to the game is something that CCP says they are doing but with half of those players quiting after a few hours I think CCP Ghost is a person that can provoke CCP to change the new player experience for the better.


CCP Rattati talking on the twitch stream:



I thought it was interesting to see the Fanfest store. Interesting because of the first item it shows.
Once I saw that they are actively selling the second decade collectors edition again I felt my blood pressure pop my head off. The collectors edition mystery code..... I've ranted on about it before but it's a thing that CCP has really dropped that ball with.
"This is just the beginning of what the Mystery Code will unlock.  In the future, whenever we have big things happening—not just across the EVE Universe but across all CCP games—you will find a Mystery Code element to enjoy.
There’s much more planned we can’t discuss right now, but you can rest assured that as we continue our journey into the Second Decade with you, the Mystery Code will be your perfect traveling companion."

Urge to rant rising.....

I was glad to see that they did a video for the CCP Permaband music used in the citadel trailer:




So what did fanfest this year mean for me:
- Game quality of life updates not only to graphics/sound/ui but also to the ongoing development (like the NPE) are ongoing and well worth it. I long for the day there are double the number of players online.

- CSM farce in the elections means I hope that the CSM process will change for the better in the future.
- CCP pissing me off again with the collectors edition. The longer you have it the more worthless it becomes.
- Capsuleer day on May 6th, free stuff(s?). CCP late to the party again but I only see this as a marketing tool to sell pod SKIN's in the store.
- Eve Mobile app when it's ready.
- Eve FPS take 2 when it's ready.

Nothing I'm holding my breath for.

But there was one thing I did listen to in Day 2's art panel. They said they had implement the new shader technology and that they were looking to introduce (at some point) the ship customisation that was shown in fanfest 2014. That is once they created the same tools for the new shaders.
That got my attention. Maybe I heard of took him up wrong.

I still like and giggle at the trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment