Monday 1 June 2020

Eve Online....

As usual my Eve Online blog posts end up being delayed, edited and re-edited; By the end it's been three weeks, the post isn't really relevant any more and has developed into an angry rant over something(usually CCP).

So something light....

Something light....

I read either on twitter or reddit that there was a free pack for Eve Online for Steam users of the game. Checking out the game on Steam I added it to my library and it picked up my normal install. A quick click later it launched with an additional steam id account added to my normal launcher view.

Yet another account....

Side note 1. Steam interface with the Eve launcher suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I've never been disconnected so many times before. Never mind the much higher levels of lag. At least in my experience of this new way(for me) to launch the game.... so far...... Why bother with Steam anyway.... (free items ....ofc)

Side note 2. Seeing my Eve game time at an all time high of 2 hours cracked me up. No retro calculations for that; Then again not even Eve could do that in game(new in game activity log system wasn't retroactive either). 5 hour veteran of Eve Online BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! lolz

I ended up complaining to CCP about all that via the new thumb down comment section.

Anyway trying to get the free pack that was indeed listed as free was a no go.... No way of actually applying it to the game/account. The pack is no longer listed but was akin to the current 'Starter Pack'. Reading up about it and after some interweb searches seems to bring up a lot of likewise confused gamers. But a day after starting the new Steam account/character there were new daily rewards to claim that are different to the 'normal' standalone Eve launcher Alpha and Omega daily claimable's. I'm not sure if that's due to the 'old' starter bundle or that Steam users are 'special'. Probably just a new player thing, 'starter' = never played the game before.....


In trying out a new character I've seen the new tutorial. It's been a while since I last created one and been through the New Player Experience(NPE for short). Comparing this today to what I saw previously......well.... it's a no fun disappointing experience. A chopped up mashed version of what CCP Ghost brought to the game. This via steam had a compounding effect of disappointment. A lackluster experience.

Direct marketing was done, I'd have appreciated that more on my main that this expendable charterer....


In retrospect CCP Ghost did a phenomenal reworking of the starter experience. At the time I didn't think it worthy of super high praise, I regret that now. He changed and progressed it. Yet like much of what CCP does it was not a task that was allowed to be fully formed and finalised. I now see why CCP Ghost regretted not staying with that (NPE) project. Regrets all round and I've almost gone on a CCP rant. Suffice it to say that outside of the current NPE, the removal in the latest patch of players creating a portrait at character creation is a mind blowing WTF moment.

All I've seen is new players without a proper portrait. Like my new character.

Here:

And here:

Usually the game has always had a wait period to update profiles so your get the generic shadow portrait.

Like this:


But no longer ..... It's all just blank backgrounds from here on in.....


One of the most powerful character creators out there in a game and they remove the only feature that allows you to show your character......... Bye bye captains quarters, bye bye profile pics now as well!? ..... Makes no sense.

And I almost did it again.... No ranting...... No ranting....

On an up note new characters do still get a GM contact/mail and some free goodies. Nice touch but open to pressure/manipulation/marketing, now more than ever.


One last side note. I saw Mike Azariah in rookie chat. Still a helping hand and shepherd of the New Eden lambs. CCP doesn't deserve such a player; New Eden most definitely does; And he is running for CSM again(his latest post is interesting).

Enough of my waffle.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand POST!

No comments:

Post a Comment