Friday 19 June 2020

Star Trek Online....

I found myself updating some games as I checked out the new Xbox One frontend. Updates all round which included STO. I've not been near the game on Xbox for a long while. Unlike the PC version the Xbox version even when I was playing it, was one I took an extremely casual attitude with. 

So in no longer visiting it I've stopped even doing the events. I came to the realisation that I was only logging in to claim stuff and do those events for the sake of it rather than for a purpose. Busy work for the sake of it. The off chance I'd get into the game on Xbox as a main play session is just really not gonna happen. So why take time to do events etc. Much better to put that time into the PC STO (my main) version. 

The Xbox version is a good take on the game and a great port to console given certain limitations. Other better funded and grander games have done worse. Never mind some 'triple A' dumpster fires.

Long story short I updated the Xbox STO version and for old times sake logged in. I refined the daily amount of dilithium and clicked into the admiralty and duty officer assignments; Claim and redo, as ya do. However once I'd clicked on the 'claim all' on the duty officers I got an achievement. That being to get a level 4 in any of the duty officer commendations. Doing those is a basic thing. Getting to level 4 is almost unworthy of an achievement. Yet the popup said that "Only 0.74% of gamers unlocked this". 


Soooooooooo yea I'm back to being super confused. How could something I consider to be so basic and common be so rare an unlock that only 0.74% of STO accounts on Xbox have it. Depending on the stats you find online there's around 500k installs of the game on Xbox. So that % is 3700 players of 500k.....

I just baffled by that. The % surprised me, surely it should have been in the 30-40% range.

Being in game there always seems to be a busy enough player population running about. Doing TFO's is quick and I've never waited long for any specific 'dungeon' I've chosen(rather than a random).

Do that many people download and try the game only to bail after a such a short period of time. 
STO is one of the more forgiving MMO's to get into! How could it be dropped to hard by so many. 
All stats are open to interpretation. I've downloaded the game and played but only now just got the achievement so who am I to complain. It is what it is. I just think the game deserves a better look in from players who have a console as their main game platform. 

No comments:

Post a Comment