Wednesday 19 August 2015

Blast from the past.... Need for Speed Porsche 2000



I found myself installing another game I played, this one from 15 years ago. I played this game a lot. That is an understatement. A LOT. Need for Speed: Porsche 2000.
It is a game that has had a lot of name variations in a lot of other countries:
Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed (US),
Need for Speed: Porsche 2000 (Europe),
and Need for Speed: Porsche (Germany and Latin America).
Not to mention the various versions on Console. (PS1, yea that old)

It was a great detailed game that delivered on it's Porsche license. You can modify the inner workings as well as the outside bodywork. upgrade the Engine Processor, fit lightened flywheels and tweak suspension details to your hearts content.
There were a tone of game modes. I remember the Porsche test driver mode that had you do all kinds of tricks and tasks to progress to the next level. Tournaments, knockout and quick races allowed you to gain more money and cars to increase your car list and cash flow.
I found my old save game and was not surprised to see that I had a wide array of cars tweaked and setup in various ways. The biggest thing I noticed was that I saw I had several cars apart from the main garage listings. They are cars I use more frequently but because they are "doubles" I treat them with a rougher hand. And unlike the cool and slick paintwork of the main garage cars, these cars were as brought and gaudy as can be. I do the same thing in a lot of other games (like the pink crew from my xcom gaming).



This game has not aged well. It ticks all the boxes for reminiscing and a quick look on what was what in an old save game or two. Or checking out the old replay's of races. But the graphics are a big slap to the reminiscing. Tweaking the cars is still enjoyable and I still have love for this game but it's lost it's playability when racing on the road due to the graphics.

The biggest smack of retro love for this game came in the form of two of the menu track. They alone bring back so many memories of this game. But I think I'll be leaving it on the shelf and remembering what a good time I had way back when.





No comments:

Post a Comment