Monday 9 September 2019

Dead Cells(Xbox One)....


As part of the Xbox Ultimate Pass I saw that Dead Cells had been released(as well as on other consoles); So thought I'd give it a try from a fresh console perspective. The run lasted an hour and a half over two gaming sessions(stopped/restarted it once I hit the High Peak Castle). It was a bit of a different experience from my PC play throughs. This Xbox run was an end boss fail, but as a first attempt it was a fun filled one. I did my usual damage avoidance ending in more damage playstyle like Sideshow Bob hitting all the rakes.



So from that perspective not a lot different from the PC version for me. The newer changes to the game make it less of a grind than it was. Getting the runes and character progression have been streamlined. My first PC run was more of a mystery and was harder to get through due to the map/level generation. Not to mention the lack of knowledge on what rune was needed where. This Xbox run felt 'easier' to get through despite myself. Rune bosses were handed as an unsinkable encounter the first time on the 'appropriate' level(no avoiding or passing them by accident or intent). Not a bad thing given the number of times you need to make progress to the end of the game and repeat.

Playing this version of the game I streamed it from Xbox to PC to capture footage. There was no problem with doing this except for one issue. Whenever there was an achievement unlocked the streaming quality would bomb out for a second. 


The game is still fun, still enjoyable 'just' in playing it. Each mob and each successful jump has a feel good factor. Each step still feels like progress. It's a game that makes me want more. But I know where my limits are in this game. I don't grind for the sake of it or to put in 150% effort for that final 10% of game. A good game, a great game, a game that makes you want to do more but a game that I needed to walk away from. I got a lot from this first run, even Xbox achievements. But I'll not be back for seconds. That's very much a me thing....... for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment