Thursday 23 June 2022

Broken Sword 5 - The Serpent's Curse....


Maybe it's because it's been so long since I last played the original, back in the day(yea that long); That my more puzzle based investigation (as a serious(?) thing) expectations of 5 were truly trashed when seeing it in person. Something I've been wrestling with while playing this game from the start(here and here). Where I should have been embracing the absurd, comical and bizarre as a par for the course all the while. 



Everything I should be lauding as retro and a homage to the series are in my current gameplay view impediments to a better game-play experience. In playing I had to embrace the crazy and run with it, not asking too many questions(if at all), just to get through.


It seems that if your into and surviving the late game your part of the top 15% of players that make it.
Seeing the stats it's easy to see a bigger falloff in % of players as each story achi progresses early on than in late game(there's not that many players make it and those that do are 'committed' in more ways than one).


So I've finished the game. Spoiler waffle! I'm not surprised by the revelations at the end of the game, nor the 'bad guy' abilities. 


The story wraps up fairly quickly and with so much more coincidence and synchronicity it's really absurd... More than before. But then again my suspension of disbelief was well blown out of the water at that stage.


It's not the word puzzle mix and match that are the problem, they are the logical bumps in the road to be expected. But the journey of the adventure and the wacky ways of solving situations that I can't take seriously..... Then again I'm not really supposed to am I..... Is it because I'm older in real world life that I don't find the joy in the absurd shenanigans that I should be getting?! Each to their own and perspectives change with time.



It's again the absurd, when all else fails actions that 'do my head in' that lacking suspension of disbelief; That can be guessed by all the crap your carrying in your characters pockets. Broken biscuit with the cockroach with the paper clip stuck to his back to bridge an electrical connection .... But how did you stick a paper clip to his back.... With the jam from the lunchbox that you threw into the gears of a cable car mechanism.... Of course! OF COURSE!!!!!!!!


There is comedy in it, the little comment from Nico as you break the luchbox with the mechanism...
The inner monologue of George as he uses the cockroach Trevor.


The more absurd things get the more I think that a straight up investigation game would be better; Then I start thinking that if I did get a game more like that I'd be bored by the lack of absurd.


I'm not sure what I feel for the game and the ending. It's a game about the journey and in doing so should be taken slow. Very slow. The kind of slow where you start to forget what went before.
I don't regret having played it to the end; Overall it was worth it more than it wasn't. That said I can't see myself doing it again any time soon, even in a similar game...






No comments:

Post a Comment