Monday 29 July 2019

Star Trek Online....


Finishing off the PC version of the summer event a few day's ago I've gone all in on the Xbox version and been struck by two things. First, through promotions, offers and special events, my low level character in this free to play game has quiet a lot to her name. Secondly, that the basic floater jet pack for the event is sooooooooooo freaking slow. It's a catch 22. Use it sloooooooooooooowly to gain a faster one or persevere and just get the event done. Even speeding up the footage of the last event is painfully slow. Thinking I'd not spend much time on this version of the game I was all about persevering.


So the event is done, the ship claimed, fit transferred, officers promoted/retrained and given position. I'll say it again, for a free game I've a lot of free stuff that would otherwise have cost a lot. Granted the Xbox character was created as an Agent of Yesterday so there is the promo awards from that and the ongoing claimable rewards as she does anything in game (level/finish missions/faction rep etc) as an agent. There were a few promotions the game has done over time that I claimed(including the Nandi warship/boost). A humble bundle pack and shes only hit level 10. This summer has seen the most activity with STO on Xbox for me. Leveling her now to the low 20's. I've tested out the new ship in a few other TFO's and some missions but doubt I'll do much more. There's a novelty in doing it on console and still claiming a reward that's above par. I might get back to her again for the winter event.

The more I do on the Xbox character the more I think about the lower alts on my main PC account and that I should be spending time on them instead. Novelty(console) vs reason(PC).

I've found the ui/controls of the Xbox version a bit limited and cumbersome in combat. I'm still having problems with using the game with a controller. Mouse and Keyboard win out again.

Another thing I like about STO is that you can't do much without getting lots in your inventory. Some useful items, some trash, most salvageable others sold off for credits. It's a side of the game I miss in other games. Inventory management for low level gains that build over time. Something I've noticed most on my PC characters.


On the PC side I've not gotten to do much with the new ship. Mastery level III is being 'worked on'.


I've gotten the 4 module set, deflector, impulse engines, warp core and shield. With a fair few upgrades. At the very least I want to get the modules to XIV(14).


Weapon wise I've upgraded the ships experimental weapon to XV(15), best way to increase the DPS given it's damage numbers and rate of that fire.
 

I was tempted to try and grind out and get the Discovery weapons as well but I decided to only get the torpedo.


All of this is my take on combining the new ship and the new reputation this summer. Seemed to match up well. Time to potter away with it all till the next event.... The new Halloween 'event' should be interesting....

No comments:

Post a Comment