Wednesday 8 July 2020

Assassin's Creed Origins....


Assassins Creed Origins is a game I've had on the long finger for a loooooooooong time. Almost too long. Released two and a half years ago, it had a lot of hype. Just over a year after it's release I picked it up on a Steam sale in Nov 2018. I got it with a bunch of other games that for the most part I played the heck out of since(like Hitman 2 and Dead Cells). I was daunted that Origins was such a massive time sink. Ubisoft games have a tendency to do open worlds with far too much gusto. Case in point, my time in Ghost Recon Wildlands. I have also put in a lot of hours, too many hours into similar games. Bethesda (Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 4) is as guilty as Ubisoft (Wildlands, Far Cry 3, 4, Primal) for 'those' types of games. So, so many hours of gaming. I'm daunted also by the compelling nature of those games. I lose myself all to easily. Playing away I can blink and it's 4 hours later. One side quest leads to one thing then another and then it's 4 a.m. I've stated as much before but it's an issue I have always struggled with in these types of large open world games. I'm a completionist. It's also the value for money factor I have with games overall. I want to get the most out of them. I want the experience and the value. No wonder I've such a backlog list. I will probably harp on those points a lot as I waffle.

The real problem I have with Origins is what I feared would happen; The more I play the more I want to play. It's a damn good game! Blessing and a curse. It's jumped from my to be played list, to currently playing and now 'finished' in the guts of 2 weeks.


The most I've played of the Assassins Creed franchise was the first game when it came out on the 360(I'm not counting the three 2.5D side scroller 'Chronicle' games). I got about halfway through the first game and I knew it wasn't a game for me. I liked a lot of the combat, the crowd gimmick was new and interesting(Hitman 2 does it better these day's), not to mention the leaping into hay etc. Overall for me the game was a no and stayed a no as a franchise till I saw Assassins Creed Origin's. When I saw it first my original take on it was as a very stereotypical Ubisoft open world game, they do tend to cookie cut to a theme. Not necessarily a bad thing but the same car with a different coat of paint. Good and bad in that. Ubi games are Ubi games and Wildlands had burned me out somewhat, never mind other games as well. The timing needs to be right to play a game like this well.

On a side note I've been struck by how many of the Assassins Creed games I've picked up for free through Xbox gold, including the three Chronicles.

When I got Origins first I played a few hours. Saw that it was indeed living up to being an Ubi game and put it down. I've gotten back to it this last 2 weeks. Not because it was free to play a few weekends ago, which I didn't even notice. Just pure coincidence. It felt like the right itme to do it and I'm only getting to waffle about it now.

I'd restarted that play-through, I wanted a casual experience rather than a massive challenging combat extravaganza. So I changed the difficulty to 'easy'. Part of my compromise. If it's to hard, it takes more time. Even on 'easy' some bosses are a pain. I've long since left my fighting games(mainly Soul Calibur)behind . I like my fingers non mangled due to joyepad gameplay. So easy is still hard in this game if your looking to push progression.


Graphically this game is great. Some really photogenic moments that make you stop to take a photo. Many, many photo's. Combat is fluid and intuitive. It's a top notch game. Story and cut scenes are likewise good(for the most part). The world is really well detailed and better 'in person'(crowds milling about, ships sailing in the distance), slaves washing the floors(even in the afterlife).... The world is alive.







Yet like other Ubi, open world games, there is a lot of busy work for the sake of it. Objectives from random passers by to get X object from Y rebel/outlaw/gang's camp and return to owner is a rampant occurrence. Distractions on top of distractions. Yet are worth doing. As much detail has gone into those side quests as with main ones. They provide another catch 22 moment. Busy work but worth it.

Looking at the details on howlongtobeat.com it's a 30 to 100 hour game if you know what your doing. If your a wandering all quest junkie first timer like me it looks to be a good 200 to 300 hour game if your all in on everything! That's a lot of game! I've tried to stay focused. Overall I've put in over 65 hours in the last 14 or so day's. I've been drawn into the game more and more. It's such a great atmospheric, in depth, adventuring game. I like the Egyptian setting, it all works. What I dislike are the modern-day interruptions to that story-line. Which isn't for me but for franchise fans. They'd 'get it'. Besides there is so much game in that Egyptian setting that it could have carried itself alone. It does carry itself, until you get a loading screen and your back in 'modern day'. The Animus should only have been in the likes of the intro movie alone. Would have made the game more immersive. Mythos and mystery rather than techno DNA gimmickry; Like I said the franchise isn't for me.


As for the swapping between characters 'in' Egypt; I've no problem with that at all. Perspectives in a story-line are a good thing. Like night and day.



The game world, it's huge! It's not just different areas of Egypt, it's the tomb afterlife 'worlds' that are as big as some of the largest area's of the main game, that add their own twist on things. Showing idealised versions of the 'real world' or... not so idealised. That also adds to the 'one more thing'. They are big but broken up into sections, easy enough to do one more section after one more section.







I went to a new quest area 'just' to get the fast travel unlock...... 4 quests later.... You know how it goes......Or in hunting down those special high level hunters that are after you as you progress the stories..... You just pick up jobs as you go. Once they are in the quest list it's harder to not do them.



For games like Oblivion or Skyrim I was all in on the do every side mission/quest; The same for some other games from Ubi. But now I'm more selective. My 2019/20 really has seen me shy away from grind/busywork and 100% completion of games. A shifts in personal gameplay style/needs, it happens. I've just noticing it more and more in the last few years. However, the more I play Origins the more I want to spend time in the game. It's enjoyable. The surroundings are great to be in. That enjoyment is compelling when combined with an objective. Same with my time in Wildlands. You come across a large military camp... Might as well take a look. Sneak in, eliminate guards, gain collectibles till your out or the alarm is sounded, then it's all out action.






There is the always inevitable mission where your 'captured'. 'lose' all your items/gear and have to complete it to get everything back. I didn't mind it this time, in this game. It was a different enough take on that Far Cry/Ubisoft trope to be worth it.


Earlier in the game around level 17 I started to find a lot of the content needed me to be a higher level. There was no point in banging my head against the brick wall of content 5 levels above me. I was about to 'take a break away' from the game, when a new area and a quest unlocked new content; Which in turn allowed a free level boost. The boost came with a DLC release and I'd forgotten about it. Of course I took it. It's makes a copy of your save and boosts you in that new save to level 45. A true godsend. Needless to say I was remotivated to hack and slash again. Even at that it didn't take long for the story, quests and new area's to be on par with my level again. If not for that boost it would have meant a much longer, more world encompassing grind . In doinging the main quest line I found I needed to slow down to appreciate the game, catch my breath so to speak. It's easy to power through with such a boost. I had to remind myself to play the game and not just bash through. Easy to say and still temper the completionist open world distractions. That's not to say there weren't some great side quests done here and there. The Horse racing, gladiator moments, as well as the more unique content - Curse of the Pharaohs(DLC).







Speaking of the Pharaoh DLC; It's recommended for level 47 but I had to wait till level 55 to beat the bosses. Boss fights like it feel very dark souls-esque. Another franchise I'm not into.


I really like that the game allows you to avenge other players who are cut down by NPC's. I've done it a few times; Gone out of my way sometimes to do it. It feels great to 'avenge them' Knowing that maybe I'll be avenged as well. It's a nice touch.


By level 55 my tools of the trade hadn't' changed all that much from my early game. I really do like the upgrade system for gear. Find a weapon that your really happy to use and it can be upgraded to your current level. Kept with you all the way. There are a lot of weapons to choose from for a lot of situations(Long swords, short swords, dual wielding heavy or light and just as many bows).

@level 51

@level 55


Every bit of DPS counts.

I've always opted for a silent predator bow for head-shots and hunter bow with fire for general all round ranged damage. On the main weapon front I've gone for the curved blades for quicker combat with the ability to hit multiple targets; And a larger slower blade for mounted combat where the combat is slower anyway.

The level 45 boost also boosted up the other items like bags, health regen, quiver and assassination blade but there was still work to be done. Still a level or two today at level 55.

His starting outfit was one I kept till I did the early temple 'stand in' quest, which gave the Sekmet costume. Pretty good looking. Had it for a long while till I then got to kill all the Pylakes which in turn gave the Black Hood reward(ninja outfit, ninja outfit!). No other outfit has been able to remove it from me to date.



Mounts wise I stuck with my 'Combat' Camel(Apophis Herw), but I also like the horse mount I won from a chest(Mut Herti). Depends on the mood which gets used.




I both do and don't like the time limited special shop that can make you grind in order to complete a quest for goodies. Other quests for it are fine and I've done one or two of them. I've also had spare in game cash to use on a mystery chest or four.



The cash shop overall is pretty harsh if not so in your face. Once you look into it's large multitab selection of wares it can be a bit of a trap if your so inclined. Least it's consensual. Your cash, their currency(Helix credits). Whatever floats your boat.


Or earn some of it through the game, there are options. I like that there's a mystery box for a random 'cash shop' item. If you have the spare in game cash then you can gamble on the result. Least there are options. Like I said I've bought a few of those boxes; Best for me was my Mut Harti horse. Other rewards were unremarkable (imho) weapons and then for that Celestial Raiment(image above).


It's the only game I'm actively setting limits on play session lengths. First time I've done that in my life. The main trap is the 'recommended' levels for quests. Yes you can do a level 15 quest as a level 12 character. It's harder to do, the fights tougher; But it's doable. Getting a level 42 quest on the far side of the world as a level 10 no so much. Sets a target to aim for and you 'feel' like you need to grind to be able to make it. Again, good and bad in that.

Then again I have a major problem with Odyssey's NPC enemies. They're leveled up to the same as you, so different area's don't have different level NPC's.  I really enjoyed going back as a higher level and avenging past defeats from what were at the time higher enemies via massive overpowered brute force. This is also fun when your riding past a mounted patrol and with once swipe all three(or more) are cut down.



All that said, personally I'm 'into' ancient history. So seeing a game like Origins bring this era and it's mythos to life in such detail is it's own fun for me. Just being in it. Again the graphics, art, style, music, sounds; This game is a complete package.

It's not all perfect, I'm sure King Tut was never this buff; And he seems to have traded in a walking stick for a pole-arm. Taking license with the afterlife eh...


Speaking of different, the A Gift from the Gods was an interesting, short addition to the game. A cross of Final Fantasy into Assassins Creed. Free mount, sword and shield.




In the end I've finished up with just over 65 hours played(road to level 17, boost to 45 and then normal level again to 55). There was more than a few late nights and I doubt I'll be willingly blitzing a game like this again. I fell into the completionist trap on only a handful of occasions; When one missions leads on to another and that mission chain is in a few large locations etc etc. These things happen. Quests always lead on to more quests in this game, so a completionist is going to have to forceabley stop. I am and I've had to. Now I'm at a point where I've finished off the main quest chain, done some side quests/branches, bought, sold, upgraded and seen/done cool stuff without going crazy about it. I've been able to temper my time in the open world and feel like I've finished the game. There's still the end of the Pharaoh DLC to complete. Tut is kicking my áss for now.


I've had Odyssey on and off my wishlist for a long time. Still off now. Not because it's a bad game, has microtransactions or because of changes they made or the setting. I'd be as into it as Origins, maybe more so. It's the length of these games that's off-putting. One game like this every now and again can be good but as a gamer they add and build up over time. There's only so much game time to be had!
All fingers point to Odessey being a bigger better version of Origins. I've no problem with getting a game version with more content 2 years after release. Whats one more to the backlog. Least that way it's cheaper.... Odyssey is a maybe; But not for another while. I still have The Witcher 3 and all it's DLC to go through(despite a friends constant 'have you played it yet' nagging.

Restraining myself from going all in is a struggle at times. Facing two games from the same franchise one after the other when they are long and content filled can be detrimental to me and my overall gameplay never mind health and sleep deprivation. Maybe I can do the same with Odyssey as with Origins. Maybe not. I'm not willing to chance it just yet. I see the next game Valhalla will no doubt show even more improvements as a game. I know I'd push hard in them and then even moreso in the other games that I thought I was being kept from. Next thing one game session leads to another, blink and it's 4 in the a.m. again.... For weeks on end! Then it's become a lifestyle.... "But it's enjoyable" isn't that good of an excuse when your bleary eye'd at 10 in the morning and trying to hold a polite conversation as you stare through the other person. Making that person then look at you like your high or something!

Maybe I'm overthinking this way too much.



Playing this game proved that I shouldn't have worried all that much with it. I was right to have gotten it when I did but likewise I'd not have had such a good time with it now if I'd not have waited. As it stands I'm glad in what I've experienced and how I've handled it in game and as a game.

Just one or two more things to 'tidy' up.

Did I mention it's a very photogenic game....








No comments:

Post a Comment