Thursday 30 September 2021

Subnautica: Below Zero....


Another game I have access to via Xbox Ultimate for PC. I'd initially had a bit of hype for the game when it was announced. That was a time when I was still on a high from the first game(Subnautica is still a great game). Over time that hype faded and lead to me watching playthoughs of below Zero in it's various states. Since then I've became less interested in actually getting the game. Still; Hope of the proof in the pudding had it remain on my wishlist(for a deep sale). But not anymore. 


Playing it this week I was disappointed. Seems to be happening a lot in my gaming of late. The thing about Below Zero is that the story is weaker(imho) and there's a lack of a sense of personal character endangerment. I can really see that now in person. Also I can't help but compare it to the first game and when I do Below Zero feels like it's just all about going through the motions... 
Watching playthoughs of the original are what got me to get and play it; And it lived up to what I'd seen. Doing more in it's ambiance than I'm feeling for Below Zero now.


In the first game there was always something impending in a narrative way. Crash, survival, explosion, radiation, disease, exploration, discovery, escape. Not so in the same way at all in Below Zero. I don't care what happens to the main character or her need to 'know what happened' story; Which seems to fade away fast. There's noting like crashing on a planet to find out about your sister only to get distracted by an alien and doing his errands. Sarcasm aside the main characters enthusiasm(obliviousness?) for what she does is off-putting to me. I much prefer my non talking protagonist from the first game.

Waffle and nit-picking, blogger gonna blog.

While this game does have it's good moments Below Zero is a clone. It may have the looks but there's something 'deep' missing from it. A clone with a genetic corruption of weak story. 

Graphically it's still beautiful, especially at night when you can see the florescence. The new setting is 'cool', ice and water with great weather effects from storm to aurora. The music is great as well(some Youtubers do make a game more fun). Good sound and visuals are appealing but not enough to drive as motivation for me in this game.



The gameplay basics are the same as the first game. Some interesting additions/changes. All that and yet I feel as if the game is ... watered down. It's hard to put my finger on. Even the addition of a land leviathan doesn't feel like a real threat; A 'boss' to avoid and get around but not one that I felt would stop me in my tracks(unlike Reapers). Maybe that's just me after spending so long in the first game. 


If this is your first look at either Subnautica game I'd suggest you go play the first, first. 
Playing Below Zero makes me miss Subnautica. It all 'felt' better done there. That's not to say I don't appreciate the quality of life improvements on some of the game elements in Below Zero. Larger rooms or the way you can now see a visual UI element for items needed. The Sea Truck compromise between Seamoth and Cyclops is very Love/Hate.

Seeing a returning character form the first game is a great moment and that side of her story is really great. 


The beginning and middle of the story of Below Zero are 'meh' for me. The rest is so very 'meh'. The A.L.A.N. story at least for me never really felt compelling it's more a means to an end(an ending). Sometimes less is more and a mystery may have been better with regard to the Precursor. The start and end are like two separate narratives mushed together. 


Looking back in the run up to the games 'full' release I expected more. Maybe the troubles with it's story were at least in part due to the first game being a hard act to follow and that compounded their narrative choices when trying so hard to make it work. 

So I spoke about watching playthrough's......Two good playthrough's I've watched are from:


No comments:

Post a Comment