Friday 21 January 2022

Sniper Elite 3....


Sniper Elite 3 has grown on me the more I've played it. In essence it's more akin to Hidden and Dangerous 2 than my nostalgia for that game was when playing Sniper Elite 4
It's the map limitations that are the key thing for the 'feel' of that nostalgia. Yes the maps are not as big as 4's and they are broken up so that line of sight doesn't stress the game or a players PC(With convenient hangers, canyons etc). But it does it all well. It's got that hook for me beyond nostalgia. It does what previous games did in the genre. Playable enjoyment!


I've had a lot of memorable moments with the game. Like running down the main street of a town I'd just cleared, when a random 'new' patrol(officer and 5 soldiers) were headed straight towards me. Dropping to the ground they hadn't sported me.... They kept on walking/talking/searching around as they 'patrolled' up the street. Holding breath I can get 3 good shots.... Officer and the closest two soldiers went down... They had no idea I was as panic kicked in and I got the rest in quick succession. Lying there I was amazed it all worked out. Great feeling!

On the nostalgia front, Sniper Elite 3 does what Hidden and Dangerous 2 did; When an objective is complete you get the next one but look there's reinforcements on the way to the area you previously cleared. Or there's a new tank in the way etc etc. I love clearing the maps, being loud and quiet, collecting everything not nailed down. Set a save and see that the next phase brings. reload, lay traps and try things again in other ways. A map that blows my nostalgia out of the water is the 5th map/level, the Siwa Oasis. It's mission objectives and reinforcement phases remind me so, so, so much of the Hidden and Dangerous map 'Caravan'. Another fort in the desert.

Sniper 3:

H & D 2:


And as for the Airfields in both games. I'm loving it in Sniper 3!


Whats so great about an old game like H&D 2.... It has backpacks and a team to work with, uniforms to change into disguise. It even had air combat! Now that was an escape from an Airfield! 
Sniper 3 has the new graphics, enemy tagging, it's sniper shot mode and franchise momentum. 

Speaking of graphics, here's the in game benchmark with my GTX 1080...


I have to take it as much a spiritual game-play successor as Sniper is it's own thing. Still I can't shake the nostalgia. While I'd wish for a franchise crossover taking things to the next level.... Wishful thinking indeed..... But I'll take what I can get and with Sniper 3 and 4.... it's 'really' doing it for me! 




An explosive can by some scaffolding.... What's the worst that could happen!


I don't want to ruin what I know of 3 and 4 by going any further back in the franchise's iterations. V2, even as a remastered game 'could' spoil what I know and 'feel'. I have the original V2 on Xbox as it was a free game with gold a while back.... Could it be worth 'just' trying.... See if it 'feels' worth it.... Tempting but....

Anyway back to 3..... The narrative of the game is a little out there but just as much as the character you play as a-one-man army.



But in saying all that Sniper 3 does have heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment