Wednesday 20 January 2016

My Star Trek Online Update.... rollercoaster edition.


I've been enjoying a lot more Star Trek Online. With the end of the Winter Event I've been removed from the area because it no longer exists. Makes sense. I just wish there was a more prolonged version of a Q land. It was a more compact area that I liked better than the normal mission hubs.

Q
Snowman Pet
Snowconian Pet
With the event over I was at a loose end with my character. I spent some dilithium to buy two ships and spent some energy credits on the exchange to buy a mirror universe ship. In retrospect I should have saved the dilithium to trade for Zen.


The main reason to buy ships was to get more ships to use with the fleet missions. And doing that was "just" another thing to do more for the sake of doing it.

I don't watch much Youtube about STO. The one STO channel I do watch seems to be the best on information/review/commentary is over with Brent Justice.
As I'm running a free to play account my interest was even more peeked with that Youtube channel when he started to run a free to play game play through. It has been my one stop shop for all things STO. Well worth a look.
I was very glad to see that he did a commentary between playthrough's to speak about ships and gearing a free to play character. Very informative.

Part 1:



My character is in a similar position to his character as spoken about in his video . Mine is currently level 60 in end game and with an out levelled ship and gear with which to progress in end game content. Which explains a lot of the ship explosions I'm getting involved in. That's the excuse I'm using now ;-p

So after watching his video I've decided to pool my resources. I don't want to pay/buy Zen with real money. I am already invested in another game that's my RL money sink (Eve Online) and I really do not want to start a second (technically third after WoW as well, albeit a lesser sink).

I already had 100 Zen I think I got free for being a pre purchase STO back in the day. I then changed the rest of the dilithium I had for another 500 Zen. As described in the video the best option for me I think is to either grind dilithium to trade for Zen. I'm not really into the grinding so I'll stick to what I've been doing in daily(ish) officer and fleet missions. Concentrating on maximum dilithium rewards. Not very Starfleet but it is the way the game is.

With that option I can go for a T6 Ship, however that would take too long and consume too much time.

I really really no do not want to grind.

So the other option is to buy the cheaper Tier 5 ship upgrade token to upgrade my current T5 ship. For that to happen I am currently short 100 Zen which is about 15,000 dilithium.
I already have 4500 so with a keeping an eye on daily missions and fleets I should be able to get the remaining 100 Zen in a week or so.
Considering all this I slightly regret buying one ship too many with the dilithium (60,000). But I'm not thinking of it too much. I now have a purpose to work towards and on completion I will have either upgraded the mirror universe ship or my original level 40 (last free) ship.
Meaning I will have the best ship I can have for my current situation.

Sounds good but all that just got shot out of the water....

An updated video is out with updated information. Which co-insides with my checking info online and in game.

 Part 2:

The free ships can't be upgraded. And The problem with the mirror ships is that they're locked to Tier 5 and can't be upgraded either. Which totally sucks.

They (the games company) really want you to buy into the game with real money or grind for so long it really isn't worth it time wise imho. The game is entertainment not a job.

It just plain sucks to be this limited as a free to play character. STO is feeling like a lot more of a pay to win game then I thought before.

I've swung from joy about getting my ship upgraded to a low that makes me say I don't want to touch the game again.

Rollercoaster of emotions.

I've missed out on other free ships before but even at that they were T5 of the same level I currently have.

My old plan to get the ship from the next winter event will have to be the next possible ship upgrade. I know it will be a grind but as part of an event it will be a little more worth it in fun gamplay. But that's a looooooong time off.

Maybe they will do something for the games next anniversary coming up soon.

I'll have to ponder on this game a good bit.

I really do not want to have to grind reputation/currency. For me grinding like that in this game would take away the fun factor.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... In the mean time back to what I was doing for entertainment on my main.
Daily officer and fleet missions. Storyline wise I've still got the Delta mission chain to play through. Once that is done I will consider the game "completed".

I do have the Klingon and Romulan alts that could be entertaining for a while but knowing the full limit on the end game levels of the characters I have no motivation to actively play them to reach that point. Maybe if the mood takes me once in a blue moon I may push them in levelling bit I foresee quick short game sessions for the joy of it. Maybe that's for the best.          

No comments:

Post a Comment