Saturday 12 May 2018

Surgery, surgery everywhere....

Completely off topic. But waffle is waffle and I feel like it.


As quiet as my Friday's usually are yesterday I finally got around to seeing a dental surgeon and had an impacted wisdom tooth 'surgically' extracted. 

Not that it gave me any real problems. I was refereed to a dental surgeon because my normal dentist looked at my x-ray, saw a nerve running by the tooth and in a nice dental technical jargon way pretty much said "I'm not touching that". Fast forward three years and when your dentist says for the 6th time "you really should have that removed" it was time to take her up on that referral. 
She's a good dentist I trust her judgement. Luck can only hold out so long..... Why tempt fate by waiting any longer.

Surgical extraction sounds all fancy but from my point of view it looked and felt like butchery. 
It didn't' hurt at the time, with 5 injections to numb my head; But the 45 minutes of effort he did between drilling, poking and pulling didn't make it look as easy as he had made it sound. 
Besides I could tell with every jerk of my head and action done 'that's gonna hurt tomorrow'. 
I was surprised at the end that it took 5 stitches to close up the gum. Helped to clot with a lot of balled up gauze. Godfather style. Followed by a lot more gauze and spitting blood late into the night.
Better than the ye olde day's right......


So today my face looks like I've got a vestigial twin. Over the counter pain killers x2 different types(soluble) at strategically taken times have helped but not stopped the aching throbbing pain.
As for the antibiotics he prescribed.... Freaking torpedoes. Trying to swallow them is not a joke.

Unsurprisingly I can't concentrate for long on anything, irritably narky and tired as can be from a sleepless night. Mix in the inability to chew and the hangry monster emerges.


Talk about paying for the privilege, maybe I should have waited for that luck to run out.

-

Also on Friday my wife gets a call late in the day from her consultants office that he's gotten a cancellation and can she go next Monday for her surgery. Talk about it all happening at once.
At least for her it will be the end of a year long run of problems and complications (almost a year to the day since I last went on a waffle rant like this!). The only problem is that it's open surgery and not keyhole as was planned before. This means a longer recovery time and no doubt hassle from her job despite all the pre-notice and letters about how she was going to need time off in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment