Wednesday 13 June 2018

Subnautica....


I had great intentions to do a touring video with a voice-over of my final Subnautica setup. However real world stuffz(shakes fist) has made that unworkable. So I've delayed blogging about the game as well. Until now, the least I can do is the blog part.... I might finish off the video at some other stage.

In doing some pre planning I've been flip-flopping over how much I should show in game due to what might be considered spoilers. But with the game being out so long and with so much content online I doubt I could show much more than has already been shown in the Honest trailer never mind the games own Cinematic trailer(never mind the wiki).

Honest game trailer:

Cinematic game trailer:

I've spent a lot of time in game. The game and Steam confirm my 80+ hours.
The average stay seems to say I really overstayed my welcome. That's a gameplay style/choice.
That and my overly cautious hoarding preparations before advancing the story(checking this/discovering that etc). It's also down to the enjoyment of that discovery and being in (experiencing) the game-world.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=23740
It's a game I really like for it's story, atmosphere and gameplay mechanics. Specifically because it has points in story and progression that are the checkpoints to further the story and overall progression.


While pure survival mode games have their fun; I like the choices this game gives.
I chose Freedom mode, so Survival mode less the hunger and thirst.


I really like that system because it lets me discover, get comfortable then move on. It's a world that's worth enjoying and taking your time with. After Oxygen the extra hurdles of hunger and thirst are a step to far. Oxygen makes sense, hunger and thirst are a step too far. If your going to go that far why not have toilets.

I have another play-through that is set on Survival mode. Within the first 30 minutes it made me feel like my character was Homer under the sea.


I can't even imagine the size of that dump.....


This game isn't for everyone but it can be shaped to fit more than one play-style.

You can stay by your escape pod and not do much exploration. But where's the fun in that.

I feel this could all be described better but I'd need to go into spoiler details. I'll only go so far in explaining for that reason.


You can charge headfirst and brute force it all. If you do get to meet your end you re-spawn back in your escape pod with 'some' random inventory items missing. I always chose to reload my last save and try again.




The later in the game you get the better you understand the differentiation between the area's, their length, breadth and depth. That all feeds into the atmosphere(tension and suspense), the amount of light that gets through from the sun, the hue of the water, the noise of the creatures.




Going further is a necessity but taking your time and going prepared helps. The game has a story and it's dangers, all achievable and rewarding. Rewarding in story and loot, it all drives you on further.

But thankfully even if you drop a save, push the limits and reload that save the game (for me at least) still has that atmosphere factor where I still avoid area's and creatures.


Another aspect of the game I like are the player capsules you can find. On successfully escaping the planet you have the option to launch a 'time capsule'. A six slot inventory with a screen capture and a message for others to find.


I've found four capsules in my main play-through. All had Ion cells/batteries. Another had more 'high-end' survival items.


Having completed the game myself, for my own capsule I added an Ion power cellIon battery and the Swim Charge Fins. Along with a screenshot of the best poster in the game. And a little message.

Dive deeper; Strive further and with each new discovery you'll not fear what was once in darkness.
Each time-capsule needs to be up-voted and approved before it gets into the game. It seems to be a system that's both backlogged and broken because of that. So I doubt my capsule will be put in. Still it's nice to think it might. At least I have it on show here and if it does get into the game I hope it offers it's recipient some help.There is a way around everything, a path stumbled upon in darkness and panic can prove to be the best way to go. The game's area is smaller than it feels. It feels like an open ocean, vast and mysterious. And it is to an extent. All discovery makes things a bit smaller.
I'll still be diving in as each play through has a regenerated seabed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment