Friday 14 December 2018

Epic Games....

I'm not sure about this new Epic Games service/launcher... Not for it's content but for it's existence; So many launchers now. I can understand why/how dev's get more money/their cut. But as a user this is getting annoying.


But I've registered with Epic games, downloaded the launcher and claimed the first free game, Subnautica(free till the 27th). Super Meatboy is available later in the month(from the 28th to the 10th of Jan).



Free is free. I'd already bought Subnautica on Steam ages ago. I've already claimed Super Meatboy on Xbox as part of the games with gold, also ages ago. So I've claimed them for the sake of claiming them.

Looking at the Epic Games lineup of titles there's a few that interest me. Both Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and Maneater are already on my radar. Journey is of interest as well. But I'll be waiting to see what prices are like. Even if it's cheaper on Epic I might still go on Steam for the simple reason that it's all in one place. With 95% of my other games. The discouns will need to be worth it.
The only other significant launcher I'd go for is GoG and it's DRM free software, for the reason that the games are "yours" as an installable. That's a massive plus for me. Looking at my shelves I still have a collection of discs from the 90's and 2000's. Replayability and compatibility is a big thing for a PC gamer like me(not to mention old hardware in storage).

Each companies launcher is good until it all goes bang, then I'll be annoyed by not having access to the software I paid for.

Steam needs to step up and nip this proliferation in the bud, I'm speaking as a user of course. I suppose this is a lesson for Steam. It's not safe up on that pedestal.

No comments:

Post a Comment