Tuesday 23 April 2019

Eve Online....

This turned into a therapeutic rant for me:


Eve has been falling more and more off my radar. Besides a general look at the official updates page every now and again, the one show I do watch(mainly listen) for news is delonewolf's, Eve Talk weekly video. Even at that I tune most of it out(not all of it!). 

Seeing my own gameplay with Eve decline made me wonder about new players to Eve. Players who have not been brought in by friends to the game; That they are probably lured to the game more by it's promise. Then leave when it fails to delivery. Eve can try to be all things to all people but it only really happens(delivers) to the few. The top % like a ponzi scheme. Casuals like me who have alternative goals, casual PvE, are outside the equation, the silent majority who go with the flow. 

Star Trek Online's parent company/developers recently retired the Foundry from two of it's online games. While interesting in idea and gamplay it was never my are of interest but I liked that it was there. STO after all is a PvE game. How interesting would it be for player made PvE content in Eve. It would take a lot of CCP resources, time, personnel, development. But how much of a cool factor would it be and bring, even on a small scale. Just saying. CCP is all about community after all. 
No doubt CCP would take up that mantle and then with their own twist F**k it up as they 'do'. 
Really have to shake my head and then my fist with the way they do things sometimes.


Long weekends like the last one, 4 whole day's of freer than free time used to be filled with my grand designs of Eve activities. But no more. The last two big bouts of login's for me were for the christmas 'gifts' and the 3 day free SP 'promotion'. In fact it was that last SP promo that I found myself looking at ships, modules and items spread over many systems, complexity compounded across my accounts (from a year plus of faffing) and instead of getting a plan to organise, transfer and refit, my reaction was 'meh' and to log off. Which over my years of Eve gameplay is very, very unlike me. A very far cry from the pinnacle of my gameplay. A true change in mentality. A change in my attitude to the game may be due to my changing tastes but is, I feel more about the game being a pain to play. More so now than ever despite all it's changes and "improvements". Time v rewarding gameplay. No rewarding gameplay means not spending time in the game.

As I warped through a system a random wise man in local once said....
I had logged back in to see the new client/launcher updates recently. But I seem to now have a problem where all my client login profiles default to the basic barebones positions. Even when I select to use my old imported profile I click launch and it reverts to the default instead. Annoying. I really can't be ársed to go through 10 accounts, 20 odd characters and resize/reposition all the gui elements if it's going to keep reverting to a default I don't want. Which really doesn't help on the getting back to the gameplay.

Is it great to see the new updated amazing graphics, yes. 
Triglavians take over the billboard display's, whoopee.
Do ship SKINS I will never buy look awesome, yes. 
But if the game is fúcking with my chi I'll decide to let it go rather than pull my hair out resizing chat windows every login. 
CCP used to be great at the quality of life improvements, it was about the only thing they had been consistent with. 


Do I really need to manually migrate account data separately from the profile data which used to covered all accounts? 


Tried it, doesn't work. Like a lot in the new launcher. Overall game settings seem to stay once you've changed it per account. But the per character settings are F**KED! And that's really frustrating.

Anyway.

As for the ongoing he said/she said/they said shenanigans of the CSM can it really be any surprise to CCP. CCP promotes backstabbing spycraft in their game. The CSM is part of the meta game to some, so yea, no surprises there one way or the other. I'm surprised CCP is surprised by it happening.


I've been impressed by https://www.eveworkbench.com, a great tool/resource. 

While I've looked at a few fits it did make me wonder how out of date my own fit management is in practice. I was never a ship fit guru but I knew what worked for me. Even with a lot of game changes and lots of re-balance in the near future, I doubt I'll have a shred of ship fit savvy after the summer. I'm aware of the mutated modules but lack greater understanding. I do know that the contracts market is flooded with useless mutated modules. Even I can see they are useless. 

It also seems as if the ships I have fitted (and on my main that's a lot) are all going out of date by the second. Adding to the historic workload of trying to get back to a statues quo. All my characters have ships based on Ship-fit/purpose/location, all interconnected. E.G. Battleship/Level 4 missioning/Caldari space. But if the game A.I. has changed and mission triggers act differently or module sand ships are nerfed; You need to know about that, change the fit. 
Or if gankers/ninja's are operating in and around "your" system, you may be better off moving to another agent. Moving it all to another reagion, or spending cash to setup elswhere. Maybe you setup in all the regions and need to refit everything in 6 mission hubs across the known universe. It only snowballs from there. I can't be bothered any more. Maybe that attitude will change. Maybe when the launcher issues are "altered", ships/modules get "changed" etc.... bla bla bla.... Maybe maybe maybe....


No comments:

Post a Comment