Tuesday 29 October 2019

Ghost Recon Breakpoint....

Reading back over some of my previous posts in the last week; I see what could be described as narky pessimism. Not to be a downer but sometimes things suck and a blogger blogs. Some things suck at the same time and a blogger blogs even more... So with that said another bit of game news brought my narky disappointment to the boil. Waffle incoming:


What I expected from 'the next' Ghost Recon game was to take Wildlands and improve on all the community had said; Along with what had been learnt in-house and work in new elements. What was revealed was not what I expected at all. From the get go I was disappointed by almost everything they listed as a feature or game mechanic. I was even more disappointed when I was in the closed Beta. The second Beta showed improvements on elements over the first; But the game was still a long way derived from Wildlands. As a big Wildlands fan I saw nothing to bring me into the next game.

For my part I think I loved Wildlands so much because it had the 3 A.I. team-members. That fact alone brought back gameplay memories and nostalgia from my Hidden and Dangerous day's (more the second game than the first). Wildlands was the first game since H&D2 that I could play and be tactical with an NPC team in real-time. Big key feature like that was removed from Breakpoint. No wonder I was put off.

Which leads me onto the latest news re 'a plan' from Ubi taking the game forward. After the first closed Beta one big thing to come from it was to 'bring back the A.I team'. As they said:

"4. AI Teammates

We announced at E3 2019 that AI Teammates would come back to Ghost Recon Breakpoint, and they will. Ghost Recon Breakpoint was designed from the ground up to be enjoyed in co-op up to four players, and as an innovative pure solo experience. As such, adding back AI Teammates to the game is a major undertaking that will still require time. We will update you as we progress towards their release."

So the game was multiplayer focused. And they will be 'fixing' it?! To put it politely I don't think they can do it justice. Given the in game A.I. NPC's are bullet sponges and the 'human' enemy NPC's were dumb as a rock. The need for a detailed A.I. system for companions is going to be an even greater challenge to implement than they say.

The game as a product isn't worth it, the work needed to make it better seems like a massive waste of time, energy, money. I don't think Ubi can work a No Man's Sky wand over this product.

If they took everything they learned, every thing they knew, everything that was developed from the first game; Mixed it all in the pot for the next with some new ingredients and came out with Breakpoint..... Well the decision makers have greater issues then they realise.

I'm really dumbstruck by the way they went from Wildlands to Breakpoint. I can't fathom the rationalisation of steps needed to f**k it up that bad.

I'm sure Beta feedback was a shock to them. Instead taking a step back and realising what they had and spend longer to 'fix'/redevelop it they; They weaked what they could for immediate use and doubled down. They released it and are going to work on it after the fact; Like a reworked Frankenstein monster till it 'works'. I fear for players on what that will end up getting. For those that stick it out.

The more I hear about Breakpoint the more frustrated I get at their decisions and thought processes.
Even more compounded by Ubi having a good community group with a keen ear to the ground of what players want, what they like and what they needed for the future.

And we get Breakoint..... Really!!! Lesser Destiny Breakpoint 1.0!! Raids!?!

Once bitten twice shy....

No comments:

Post a Comment