Thursday 20 March 2014

Quote....

Two friends that I've gotten to know from work are also gamers, one I got into wow, the other is a long time Eve player ( on and off ) and is the friend I have mentioned returned recently to Eve.

Funny how its worked out. One plays wow and tried eve, the other plays eve and tried wow. I seem to pick up the slack and play both.

Yesterday during a quiet moment when we all found each other in the same place at the same time we got chatting.
The quote was a reply to my Eve friend saying  "play Eve", the reply from my wow friend, "I tried, you'd need a masters in it before playing!".
Laughter and banter was had, but it reminded me about my start in eve...
I'll not waffle about it again here. But it did take 2 tries to really get into it and even on the 3rd attempt it was touch and go. If not for yet another friend that started about the same time I may not have lasted long enough to really get Eve online.
The perception of Eve's learning cliff seems to be too well known.


Lots of out of game blog's, sites etc have either bemoaned the lack of a "proper" tutorial, lack of new players, or haunt the opposite side of the issue, no wow "noobs" need apply, don't simplify it etc. All of that is for another argument/debate.

A lot of things in Eve are solely down to player to player interactions, and people are complex beings if they want to be.


Eve is a game of tangents. Eve is a line, some touch that line once, others many times, sometimes its an out of game blog or podcast. One thing is for sure, it is a sandbox, it's a blessing and a curse. CCP have to walk the finest of lines to keep most of the people happy most of the time.

To try and sell the game to a friend is the best way to get a person playing, but to sell it to them is to sell their own traits to themselves with a healthy dose of patience.

Its hardcore, its casual, it's interactive, it's passive, it's interesting, it's dull, it's safe, it's heart pounding unsafe. I'm glad I found it and stuck with it.
 
http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

No comments:

Post a Comment