Friday 13 March 2020

Age of Empires Definitive Edition....


Age of Empires was another game I first got back when it released originally. Microsoft big boxes back in the day differentiated themselves by being thinner in depth. Almost a more professional look. Noticeable branding with a quality feel. It was appealing in lots of ways. They also had cool looking box art that set them apart from the rest. Large manuals as well. In particular I remember the Age of Empires and Close Combat 2 boxes very well when I was buying them.

Boxes, on shelves, in a dedicated game shop. Seems an alien experience now.

Anyway I spent a good bit of time with the game and enjoyed it back then. I've never really gotten back to it over the years nor gotten into the PvP side either. As the new HD/remastered version is free to play with the Xbox Ultimate Pass I gave it a go.


I like the updated looks of the game. The 'remastered' music and some sounds are good but not the same as the original; So I found the game experience a little 'off' from what I expected. Nothing that would stop me playing it. Not at all. Nostalgia and love of the old game has skewed my view of this games new version as well... This new edition is as great as the original in ways that the Halo remaster didn't. The changes aren't distracting, the game is as enjoyable as ever.

Old saves don't work with this new version. I placed my old original saves into the correct location (C:\Users\%profilename%\Games\Age of Empires DE\Users\XBOXPROFILENAME\Saved Games) and changed extensions .SAV to .AOEGAME  Even though the game see's the files there was no joy at all in loading them.

The new version is good but I've moved on to other games that scratch the same itch(Banished and moreso Dawn of Man). So not being able to play the old saves was a pity but a better excuse to load up the old original instead, at least for me. Till the nostalgia wears off.

No comments:

Post a Comment