Sunday 29 March 2020

Ori And The Will Of The Wisps....


Ori And The Will Of The Wisps just as in the first game is a gorgeous looking game and an audio dream of sound, music and effects. I can appreciate all of that from the offset.
Same again with the story/narrative. More of the same greatness in how both games do it(or so I understand from those that really know).

Will of the Wisps was free for me so worth a try for that alone. I got to play the PC version of the game via the Xbox Ultimate Pass. It's not a game I'd have paid to play so maybe my views doesn't matter. I couldn't get into the first game maybe that's doubly damning.

Straight up, gameplay wise like the first game, it's just not for me. I was annoyed by some of the mechanics that seemed imprecise. Like jumping which seemed to have a millisecond lag delay between button press and action(which happened whether the game was streamed or played directly). That and the fact that the backgrounds are murky so jumping onto something that should(or at least looked to) be solid turns out to be anything but. Those were my two main quibbles. I'm nitpicking because it's annoyances that build up and frustrate to make a game un-enjoyable.

Water in the first game was a no go from what I saw(until it was cleansed via your progress). In the second game it's not so clear cut. The second game is confusing beyond all reason in that regard. Go in water your fine, go in different water that looks the same and it's back to a checkpoint. That's it's own level of frustration for me.

So I stopped playing. Not even scratched the surface; But I've heard a reviewer say that the story only really started to kick in 3 or so hours into gameplay...! That's a massive NoNo for me; If I was frustrated  straight off the bat I'm sure I'd be breaking controllers 3 hours in.

It was free to try and I tried it. Like the first game it's just not for me. A game series I can't get into. At least I tried it. But I do feel like I'm missing out. Time to go watch a good playthrough on YouTube; While playing some Dead Cells.

No comments:

Post a Comment