Tuesday 17 March 2020

Planetside 2...


I've tried Planetside 2 in the past and although I've kept semi-up-to-date(and avoided Arena); I thought I'd try it again. It's been on my mind since I waffled about the Eve Online FPS last month.

A week and a few matches later and I still can't get into it. It has everything I like as a Sci-Fi FPS. Large combat, vehicles etc.... What gets me is it's global overwhelming nature. Global planetary combat is good but PS2 overdoes it(imho) with no reel meaning for a player.

I've read a lot in the forums and when the question of a greater meaning in the game comes around it gets shut-down by players saying not to over-complicate/over-think it. At the very least Dust 514 had a feel if not an actuality of being part of a greater war with meaning. Planetside 2 is all about shooting other players for the sake of it. Even Battlefield 1 has a historic theme to drive action in gameplay; A broader theme. Who cares about the planet in planetside 2....?! The action is never ending; There's no real victory. Not even a last man standing. It's got a dedicated communitygood tutorials etc.

It's not just the meaning for me. The combat is overwhelming. The heat of action is harsh with so many players; Too many players. Never thought I'd say that. It's just a meat grinder. Be a medic only to res the same person constantly. Combat that's more about spawning and dying than enduring in combat. It's the opposite of Arena; Arena is Fortnite which is slow in comparison to Planetside 2. PS2 is manic.

There's a lot to the game. Great quality of life elements, quad bikes, jump boosts, tanks and healers. It's great for the 4 seconds between spawns. It's more frustration than gameplay at least for me, for now.

This post to Harsh?

No comments:

Post a Comment