Thursday 19 March 2020

Battlefield 1....

Interesting how this weeks theme is a different theme each day!

I received a pretty negative message about my recent Planetside 2 post. Regarding my like of Battlefield over PS2, my comments on themes and objectives.

I shouldn't have to say that on a personal blog my views are my own and I wasn't trying in any way to say that anyone else can't find that game fun. Worth mentioning in a post. When I said that the game has 'no real meaning for a player'; I meant it in the context of a match not as a gamer with a game. Fun is fun and if a player finds fun in a game I have no problem with that fact. I would ask that if you really like a game that much, look at what you think it's flaws are.... Some of the best games I've played and enjoyed are flawed to bits(and/or a Bethesda game....). Some can be ignored others not so much. Balance it out. Each to their own....

Besides my posts all come with a waffle caveat....

I had a great match two nights ago that exemplifies why I'm so into Battlefield 1 and why I think it's better than PS2. Clear simple objectives; Protect the carrier, kill the enemy. I played as a Medic, reviving players, healing and shooting. Many gameplay objectives from many angles within a match. Most of all Battlefield gives time to act. Even if it looks like I get spam killed a lot in a match it's not frustrating. I found PS2 way worse in it's 'time to kill' mechanics(almost insta kill).

So that match I mentioned. It's not a perfect match and I'm no pro Battlefield 1 player, I trod on a tripwire, I aim badly, I missed opportunities, I slipped off a wall and died not to mention some horrendous grenade throwing. But the match was great fun. I shot, I killed, I helped, I was mentioned in dispatches at the end. Most importantly the game allowed me time to act with meaning and purpose and I really enjoy it for that.

Here is that match in full:

No comments:

Post a Comment