Friday 22 November 2019

Stuff....

 

At the start of my blogging life I thought 'A Casual Carebear' as a blog name was funny. I'm a gamer, I game as a carebear. A name for a gamer that's present in gamer parlance but also as I was big into Eve Online, 'Carebear' was a PvPers derogatory term. I was using it from that perspective as a somewhat empowering fight back. But now.... A YouTube name with 'Carebear' could be seen as anything but gamer lingo and the consequences are OTT. So on youtube, the blog etc. I've changed the name or the display name to A Casual Gamer. It's the small things that matter and while the display name may not seem like a big thing, it's at the heart of why I started blogging.

Over the course of my waffling posts I've tried to maintain a balance, to be a blogger, promote the posts on twitter. A picture paints a thousand words, so with youtube video's they paint millions more. Seemed a natural progression. All done for my own pleasure with no financial benefits. I've gone out of my way to not do adverts(blog or YouTube), that's me and how I find ads so annoying on content. Not much a creator can do when a platform decides adverts  go on your content otherwise. Click skip or not their still there.

I've found I've drifted into various phases; Almost exclusively blog posts at the start, some youtube vids for those posts, getting on twitter to see and promote gaming content; More youtube and less waffling 20 page blog rants. The recent U.S. FTC/Coppa 'stuff' happening is confusing and not at all helpful to those that want to share content never mind make it a source of income.


I don't get the new rules, everything is contradictory or so vague as to blanket all content.

If I'm a non-advert, non monetised creator and I'm a bit freaked out about what youtube is doing then I can only imagine what 'real' - monetised creators are thinking.

There are some good descriptive video's trying to inform the community.

$42,530 FINE per Video… FTC is coming for YouTube Creators from Derral Eves

What YOUTUBE's Not Telling You About COPPA from Ian Corzine

Complying With COPPA - Youtube Creator Conversation from Dee Nimmin


I've already seen a number of creators bail from youtube, such a pity. Good creators trying to share content let alone make a buck off it. So much harder to do these days never mind doing it with these new rules. It's no wonder they left.

As to my future I think I'll return to my roots and blog. Youtube and twitter accounts will still be there but I'm mulling the content. Some or all may go by the end of the year.

I started this blog after seeing another gamer blog with the description:

"I like to play video games, and think about those games, and write about those thoughts. That's what this space is generally for.". 

Time to get back to basics.



____________________________________________

Further updated info:



No comments:

Post a Comment