Wednesday 27 November 2019

The Final Station(XBox)....


I finally got time to try one of the free Games with Gold offerings for November which caught my attention. The final Station wasn't a game I was in any way hyped for but it peeked my interest for a lil'ol look'n'see.

When there are Zombies in movies and games, they are usually defined in one way, fast or slow.
This game has both(fast and slow), which threw me for a sec at the start of encounters. There's extra tension when a group of infected/zombies/'enemy npc's in a bunch stumble slowly and then a small one at the back dashes for you at speed(fire all the ammo!!!). It's not a bad thing as a game mechanic but it's a statement of this game. Don't misjudge it with preconceptions. The game is more 'serious' than it looks. It has atmosphere in spades along the lines of 'little is more'.


It's got more depth than I first thought. The train sections are far from 'just' a simulation and the off train exploration has a lot more tension(ammo finds are comforting). The story is told with nuance you can miss no matter what section you are on. Not all the time but I do like the little touches.

It's a good game, I enjoyed my time with it but it's not a game for me(regardless of zombie speed). I did two play sessions of about 45 minutes each and I feel like I'm done. I doubt I'll go any further but never say never. Worth the try.

No comments:

Post a Comment