Tuesday 18 October 2016

Blast From the Past.... Privateer 2 The Darkening


I was always a fan of space combat games. Wing Commander 3, 4 and Prophecy. Freespace 1 and 2.
So it was no surprise that I picked up Privateer 2 The Darkening. Out the same year as Wing Commander 4 but unlike the rest of the franchise Priv2 was set in it's own separate self developed corner of that universe. The Tri-System Confederation. Same universe yet separate from the other games. I like that idea.
I never played the first Privateer game, after playing the second game I doubt I'd play the first and see a lot of similarities. In my view I am better off having skipped game 1 and just gotten straight to the second.


Like the Wing Commander games Priv 2 is heavy on the FMV scenes for both the UI and storyline. While I don't mind the way it was done I can see how a lot of people would hate that aspect today.
It just seems to have been the trend at the time and even today I have no problem with it.
I don't know how they got so many good actors to play hammy roles/scenes. Some stand out more than others for better and for worse.

 Spoiler!

I even like the small video loop animations that dot the space ports on each planet.


Looking back on the game I do have a lot of nostalgia, a person who had no connection to the game today would probably discount the FMV and most of the gameplay out of hand. Maybe I'm being too harsh on modern gamer expectations. For me at least there is still good gameplay to be had.
And Nostalgia. Memories of old fights. Of protecting a cargo run to make some money to upgrade my ship or it's gear or to progress the storyline.
At the start you of course are only given enough credits to buy the cheapest of the cheap.


I do recall a scene where you are looking for a character who has information to unlock a part of the storyline/memory of your character, only to see that important character removed from the equation. Now it was a bit of a slog the first time round to get to that point, and I remember watching the scene, seeing what happened to the character and I said aloud the F bomb and then my on screen character in the scene dropped the same F bomb. That cracked me up.
Maybe it was the time I played it, the first time and I was immersed. That immersion has created the love of the game and the nostalgia I have now.
What I like most about my recent trip down memory lane is something I had forgotten. The way the NPC's react to you in space combat, they taunt you. Not in a Wing commander "child friendly" way but as an enemy and an adult. And then just before you destroyed their ship they change to a begging for life plea or screams as they are killed. It's your choice in weather or not to kill their escape pod.
I also like your computers voice, complimenting your skills or saying that you've received collision damage.

There is an almost sandbox nature of the game. NPC military/police, haulers and pirates doing their own thing. Much like the way the rest of the universe feels, alive yet separately devoid in an almost sterile way, you need to know where to look to see that life in action. Like a serene pond before you throw a stone in the water. Not that you can change or affect the universe. The gameplay is a solo and personal storyline.

I find it funny how modern day reviews are less then happy about the game. Could the gameplay/UI be improved, yes but it's a 20 year old game. It was patched after release to fix issues and hasn't seen any love since the gog.com repackage but a repackage isn't any additional development love. What do people expect. As for me I took it as it was at the time and as it is now is an extension of that plus nostalgia.

The game is available on gog.com, https://www.gog.com/game/privateer_2_the_darkening
And despite people saying they have problems running it I have to say I've had no issues with it so far on any aspect. Even the FMV video's aren't as interlaced as I remembered them to be.

This game was the first time I saw Clive Owen as an actor. The next time I saw him in a film was during the first Bourne movie in a very "ah yer man from Priv 2" moment.

3 comments:

  1. I made a lot of the ships and sets in that game! A long time ago it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your efforts gave the universe it's feel, made it a great experience then and now. Thanks :)

      Delete