Monday 13 March 2017

Back to No Man's Sky....

My last two posts about the upcoming patch and then the patch release itself made it inevitable that I'd at least take a look at the game again.
Tonight I think I spent about 30 minutes both to reacquaint myself with the game's controls and check out both the base building and the new patch. I never did really check out the patch before last in regard to the base thang.

A quick look later I can say I like that the new game mode menu pop's up immediately. Once you have selected your game type the usual flying through space loading screen appears. There is however a lack of an exit option from the menu. Escape doesn't bring up any menu option to select exit from. It had to be killed in windows task manager. I didnt' try Alt+F4.


Once in my old save I was greeted with the short form patch notes.


The game also asks if you want your base's to be discoverable/shared on the steam workshop.


Textures on ships and structures seem more gritty. Other ships seemed to have more of a sheen than I remembered.

The new camera mode is a boon to people that love to take screenshot and allows for a more coordinated setup for a shot that wouldn't have been taken outside of a lucky happenstance.




Flying on the planet I found that I had to avoid large deposits as I could now fly into them and get bumped.


There is a new currency which replaces a lot of the on planet wreckage. No longer do you get a tech you have already learnt. Now you get nanites from the wreckage.

There are also new elements that can only be gathered from the new vehicles.





Doing a scan of the system I last found myself in I headed over to the "abandoned" building. Which forms the hub of your new base. And houses a handy alien blueprint seller, like some sort of creepy estate agent that's popped out of nowhere.



The alien offers blueprints that are cheap and cover a lot of different blocks to piece together a base. The problem I found is that you quickly run out of materials. There are again new materials that need to be bought in order to complete some of the new structures. Like getting glass for a biodome.
Once a base is 'claimed' and renamed to what you want you need to fly back up to the space station, use the teleporter there to link it to your base. Once done you can then teleport at will back and forth.

 

Aliens are also recruited on the space station, farmer, builder, technician (Exocraft engineer).


They help you get your base buildings up and running by giving you a little direction, build X and you can do Y then move onto Z. The limiting factor here is the materials.

That was my main turn off for me, the lack of materials. The creator mode can be used to see the base and vehicles, but using it I feel would make me think I'm wasting time I should be using gathering/doing things in my save game proper.
Granted I could keep going back to the station via teleporter and trade/buy what I need but I really had no motivation. Even getting to test a vehicle seemed like it was too much effort. I doubt I'll check back again and try to get a vehicle. Given the planet my base is on is filled with large crevasses I doubt it would be any really fun to drive on. Never mind the lack of materials on planet....

That said I look forward to seeing what the next patch changes and brings....

No comments:

Post a Comment