Tuesday 11 July 2017

Cold cold waters....

Yesterday after checking out an old favourite Silent Hunter 3, I decided to take a look at a site that hosts all things in naval simulation. There I came across a review of a submarine game that peeked my interest, Cold Waters review.

My history of submarine simulations is basic, Silent Service on the C64, Tom Clancy's SSN & Silent Hunter 3 on PC over the years. While I still get a lot from SH3 this new game would bring my access to the genre up to a near modern setting. SSN is good and still has playability but is hard to get running on modern operating systems. Cold Waters seem's like the ideal solution (pun intended), to get a modern sub sim on a modern pc with modern graphics.

In reading the review it was clear that the game has a lot to offer but is still in a phase of development despite beinbg "released". A lot of comments on the games steam page say that it's more micromanagement style, to me that's not all a bad thing. The game also seems to lack the tools to do proper tutorials, something that the community has run with and filled in the gaps.





Reading the comments I kept seeing a lot of talk comparing the three main sub sims played by the community, 688(I) Hunter-Killer, Dangerous Waters & Sub Command.
This lead me on to looking those games up on steam. In fairness they may have the gameplay but to my eye they are more dated graphically than anything else I've played. Even at a bundle low price for the lot. For me they are not worth the hassle, I have to nostalgic link to help me see past the graphics.

I think I'll be sticking this game on my wish list and waiting for a sale to pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment