Tuesday 18 July 2017

Back to the Atari....

Since I first mentioned the new console from Atari, it's had me thinking about it. While my first console was an Atari 2600 Jr. I can't see anything more than nostalgia in a retro console emulating that era. I never got enough of a drive to buy any of the Flashback versions. Speaking of which Version 8 Gold is due out this September.
But what makes this new console from Atari interesting is that they can bring a lot of their later games into play. Games that would be on par with the likes of Android Apps, more specifically the Lynx and Jaguar range of games.
Would they go further? Updated games? What do they really mean by saying "modern games"?

Nostalgia might get me to look at this new console but the back catalogue and a range of useful features might get me really interested.  Extra features, updates and modern games could be a turning point for sales.
I'm really liking the look of the more modern red version.
What makes me question the whole thing is what I've read about a note that went to Atari investors at the end of last month saying that Ataribox was to be crowdfunded “To limit risk taking, this product will initially be launched within the framework of a crowdfunding campaign”.
That's a massive red flag to me and a dampener of the new box's potential. Time will tell....

No comments:

Post a Comment